Cob: Cast earth countertops?? WHY NOT STONE!!!

Patricia Kerns pkerns at twistedroad.com
Tue Oct 23 14:09:06 CDT 2001

Wow!  I wish I knew where to get a nice slab for $50.  Here, if you go out
to the desert and are lucky enough to find one the right size, you can get a
guy to haul it to the site for you for about $250.  Then, you have to figure
out how to install it and cut it yourself.  For a really nice cut slab,
about $200/$300 plus several hundred to haul it in.  I love the look and
feel of stone, but it's just out of my price and skills range compared to
doing things with mud.  I imagine this is true for most of us
do-it-yourselfers.  I certainly don't have an unlimited free volunteer
force, but I get a lot done by myself and mud is amazingly easy to work
with.

I've done a lot with linseed and find that the cost isn't too bad for inside
work - maintenance is minimal.  For outside patios or counters, it would be
a different matter, as I've been told the sun degrades the linseed and it
must be reapplied periodically forever.

Patricia