Cob: ARE OUR NATURAL BUILDING IDEAS CAST IN STONE??? (or, the STONE vs. cast earth controversy continues)

Ocean ocean at peacemaking.org
Tue Oct 23 22:15:41 CDT 2001

All right, all right, let me clarify...

There's a landscaping company here in town, and the stone is being shipped
here (in Oregon) from Tennessee, Utah, and Arizona.  They sell standard
flagstone which is 1-1/2 inches thick, and also a "veneer" stone, cut
1/2-3/4" thick.  Both cost around $400-500 a ton, so a veneer slice is going
to be a lot larger than the standard (cover a lot more surface area).  I
just guess-timated $50 for a counter sized chunk.

Now, regarding local availability/sustainability issues and such controversy
my suggestions have stirred up:

If I can get this stone out here, where there are no flagstones, I'm
assuming y'all might be able to find it out there, at a landscape place or
such, for a lot less than I'll have to pay.  I mean, there are being shipped
hundreds to thousands of miles!

You can cut the stuff with a $20 diamond blade in your typical skillsaw.
Yeah, here I am talking POWER TOOLS and TRUCKING in non-native materials.
BUT, where is the cement or lime or linseed oil for the "natural"
alternatives coming from anyway?  You know it: huge energy-gulping factories
hundreds or thousands of miles away...

Finally, please check the warning label on boiled linseed oil.  Almost all
of the stuff available commercially has "drying agents" added to speed
drying time which are very nasty solvents which are "known to the state of
California to cause cancer".  I don't think a linseed oil countertop makes a
lot of sense for a food prep surface, if you're really wanting a natural
alternative.  Better seek out an organic boiled oil, which will probably
cost a lot more.

I have come to terms with having to make compromises to build "naturally".
And in the areas I haven't wanted to compromise, and held to my own against
the opposition, if I examine the underlying sources, costs of materials,
etc, I find I've made compromises whether I'm admitting it or not.

Let's all lighten up, OK?  There are enough really scarey issues now to get
riled up about...

Ocean
Steward of Ahimsa Sanctuary
http://www.PeaceMaking.org