Cob: ARE OUR NATURAL BUILDING IDEAS CAST IN STONE??? (or, the STONEvs. cast earth controversy continues)

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Wed Oct 24 14:00:20 CDT 2001

Let's all lighten up, OK?  There are enough really scarey issues now
to get riled up about...
Ocean
 PeaceMaking.org
++++++++++++++++++++
Ocean-I think where you got into trouble ( funny for a peacemaker .org
guy huh?) was in the "shouting" to use real stone when the conversation
was NOT about that at all.

We are discussing how to pour and form a counter or table by hand. If
you want to add to that,  that's fine.

"BUT, where is the cement or lime for the "natural"
alternatives coming from anyway?  You know it: huge energy-gulping
factories hundreds or thousands of miles away..."
++++++++++++
Not true, most cement and lime are  mined and produced regionally, hence
the wide variety of high cal and dolomitic limes avail and  lime uses
far less energy commercially to produce, with the added benefit of
reabsorbing carbon dioxide from the air, which mfged.cement does not.

I repeat we are not defending use of materials, we are discussing how to
hand-make some items.

I have some bowls, holding water, simply made from clay and lime and
paper...paper holding water? yes, and I can sculpt what ever shape I
want, by hand, no tools needed, which feels very good to me on a
creative level  .I will attempt a counter top too, in myown time, with
no heavy lifting, messy cutting or loud drills.... that feels good on
many levels. I think most people on the cob list feel the same way.

Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com