Cob: Counter-attacks(long article incl)

Charmaine R Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Sat Oct 27 20:57:03 CDT 2001

Well wouldn't ya' know..Fine Homebuilding's annual Kitchen issue just
landed in my mailbox, all about countertops..dicusses every material
from butcher block to Corian, Fiber cement- stone-laminates- tile-hand
made and not...well done with lots of photos of the various counter
products sold, and covers the  poured method I mentioned by artist Buddy
Rhodes who does "liquid stone" essentially cement poured in place.

One great idea I picked up was to pour the dang thing UPSIDE  down..in
other words, plan for the bottom to be the "perfect side", and then the
top surface can be handled more, troweled, etc.

this would make sense if you had a mold with a preformed lip edge, place
a piece of pencil rod (as others mentioned) then pour, and let cure. As
a person with weird counters made of shelving (by the last owners) I can
tell you how important having a lip edge is for wiping crumbs etc...no
edge means everything tends to fall into the drawers or right to the
floor..such a small thing makes such a big difference in ease and
function of a working kitchen!

Charmaine
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com

The Master of Liquid Stone

                by Brad Lemley

                Buddy Rhodes scoops a heaping handful of
                concrete, about 3 pounds, from the
                wheelbarrow. The mass resembles cookie
                dough: stiff, buttery yellow and studded with
                chocolate-colored sand grains. He holds it
                briefly, registering heft, viscosity, dimension,
                color, even the muddy smell. Then, squinting
                through homely horn-rims caked with concrete dust; he
carefully
                presses the gritty material into a 4-foot-diameter mold
for a circular
                tabletop. "Working with concrete is like playing God,"
he says.
                "Making stone out of powder."

                It's one thing to master a craft, quite another to
invent a craft and then
                master it. Rhodes, 48, has taken concrete--generally
employed only to
                raise structures out of the muck--and transformed this
humblest of
                building materials into artful creations meant to be
seen, touched and
                admired. His accomplishment is doubly satisfying because
no one
                believed he could do it. For years, architects,
builders, masons,
                engineers, the guys at the hardware store all told
Rhodes he was nuts.
                They told him that his concrete dreams--concrete lounge
chairs,
                concrete coffee tables, concrete wainscot, concrete
window trim,
                towering concrete cones, concrete mantel pieces,
delicate
                Japanese--style concrete benches, concrete that twisted
and turned
                like an ocean wave, concrete that was warm and tactile
and
                engaging--were unbuildable, unmarketable mud-pie in the
sky.

                Rhodes listened politely. "I would say, 'OK, OK, I can't
do it. Now give
                me the stuff.' I would lock myself in the studio, flail
away at it for a few
                days, invent techniques as I went along and finally make
the thing."

                Rhodes presses stiff, wet concrete against the sides of
a fiberglass
                mold to shape and sculpt a 4-foot diameter planter,
above. He will
                spend eight hours building the pot, which will sell for
$1,600.

                An elegant fireplace mantel and hearth and a sleek
whirlpool bathtub
                testify to the versatility of Rhodes's concrete
creations.

                These days, the only impossibility seems to be to keep
up with
                demand. Rhodes pauses to survey his hangar-sized
workshop, in the
                Potrero Hill district of San Francisco. As the tejano
tune "No Vale La
                Pena" ("It's Not Worth the Trouble") blares from a boom
box, a half
                dozen sweaty Workers, each trained by Rhodes, trot
behind
                wheelbarrows, feverishly

                dumping buckets of concrete into molds, trying to keep
up with
                backlogged orders. A client in Chicago wants a whole
Buddy Rhodes
                house: bathtub, sinks, kitchen counters, tiles,
windowsills, shower
                pan, architectural ornaments, the works. A chain of
upscale furniture
                stores is screaming for baseboards, shelving and crown
molding.
                Robin Williams bought planters, Cher purchased a coffee
table, rock
                musician Todd Rundgren picked up some benches and now
another
                rock star, who made Rhodes sign a confidentiality
agreement, wants
                counters, tile and a threshold. Concrete, once reviled
as the utilitarian,
                artless bane of urban life, is suddenly hip, and Rhodes
deservedly gets
                much of the credit for the change. In San Francisco,
real-estate ads
                shout "Buddy Rhodes kitchen!" even before they brag
about bay views.

                "Buddy makes concrete sensual," says Los Angeles
designer Richard
                Altuna, who has specified Rhodes work for more than 100
projects
                across the country. "Over and over, he miraculously
comes up with
                stuff that's so beautiful."

                "Concrete is soft and warm--lots of personality," says
Rhodes. "People
                come here because granite and marble are too machined,
polished,
                sterile. People want craft in their home, the trowel
marks, the
                hand-done look." Rhodes says he despises "faux"
concrete, in which
                the substance is pressed into molds to imitate bricks,
rocks, even
                wooden planks-usually unsuccessfully. Rhodes's work
evokes stone
                but is still obviously man-made, manhandled,
man-caressed. "The fact
                that it's handmade, that's my passion," he says.

                Reaching into the tabletop mold, Rhodes uses only his
fingertips to
                knead a mound of moist concrete. The kneading seems
random. It
                isn't. Rhodes wants the tabletop to show a fissured,
frazzled surface
                when he pops it out of the mold tomorrow morning. If he
presses too
                vigorously, the fissures in the mound will close up to
form a featureless
                plane. If he's too tentative, the gaps will yawn so wide
that the piece
                won't hold together. His neoprene-gloved hands
alternately dig and
                dance, pinch and separate, seeking the middle ground.
"It takes a
                certain touch," he says, persuading the mix against the
mold's
                2-inch-high sidewalls. "You roll the fingers gently. It
works as much by
                feel as by sight."

                Rhodes is 5 foot 7 and weighs 150 pounds but looks
taller and heavier
                because the weight is concentrated in his arms and
shoulders. The
                muscle accreted there because his movements-the scoop,
                assessment, placement, kneading-are the same, year after
year. But
                the gentle and relaxed rhythm of those movements matches
the
                yielding nature of the moist concrete. It's so supple,
he says.
                "Sometimes, I really get the feeling that it wants me to
work with it."

                The last handful of concrete meticulously pressed into
place, he
                pushes a square of steel diamond-grid reinforcing mesh
onto the
                still-wet mound, then trowels on more concrete in
smooth, practiced
                arcs. This process will lock the mesh into the table's
center, keeping
                the piece from cracking as it cures.

                The Craggy fissures of an unfinished cafe table await
color backfill.

                A sink surround 2 feet deep and 7 feet long is one of
hundreds of
                concrete counters Rhodes and his crews have installed in
San
                Francisco kitchens. "I see these counters as art," he
says. "Art can
                be functional. It doesn't have to hang on the wall above
the couch."

                Leaving the concrete to set, Rhodes heads to a
workstation full of
                cured tabletops. With quick stabs of an electric drill,
he unscrews the
                sides of a mold, then smacks the base with a rubber
mallet to free the
                piece. "I've done this a million times, but to me it's
always a great
                moment when the mold comes off." No wonder. With a
grunt, he flips
                over the 160-pound disk, revealing that the individual
clods of stiff
                concrete are ringed and interlaced with just the
proportion of fissures
                he was after. The effect is striking, like boiling lava
that cracked after
                flowing into the sea.

                Now comes the Buddy Rhodes signature touch. With a
4-inch drywall
                knife, he smears a thin concrete mix tinted with ocher
pigment into the
                fissures. Once that sets, he repeats the process with a
tan concrete
                mixture, randomly filling cracks and pits that the ocher
concrete
                missed. Then, with gray concrete, he fills the remaining
voids. Finally
                he zigzags a diamond-impregnated grinding disk over the
whole
                tabletop, stripping the glaze to reveal the surface his
clients crave:
                veined, mottled, gently textured with swales and
hummocks but
                smooth enough for rolling a piecrust or writing a
letter.

                "The surface," he murmurs, rubbing it with his palm.

                While Rhodes seems to have been born for this work, his
                parents-particularly his father-never imagined their son
with callused
                hands, laboring until his back ached and spasmed.
Kenneth Rhodes
                was a successful entrepreneur on Long Island, New York.
He adopted
                Rhodes as an infant, hoping the boy would someday take
over his
                string of businesses including a paving-equipment
dealership. But that
                dream shattered early. "I didn't want to sell tractors.
And I hated
                school," Rhodes says. "The fact that I had no idea what
to do with my
                life was really distressing. I kept looking for
something I could hold
                onto."

                The only high-school course that resonated for him was
mechanical
                drawing, so he enrolled at the Rhode Island School of
Design and cast
                about for a direction. At age 19, he saw a fellow
student throwing a
                clay pot, and something stirred. "Here was this guy
centering,"
                Rhodes recalls. (The term refers to the challenging
process of placing
                clay in the precise middle of the potter's wheel so that
the Son
                material can be shaped into a vessel.) To Rhodes, the
act was
                metaphor. Once he tried centering, the world and its
myriad concerns
                faded, rendered trivial by this single, immediate task
that focused his
                attention.

                "Pure concentration. That's what drew me," he says.

                After that, Rhodes immersed himself in clay. For three
years, he
                virtually lived in the studio of Alfred University's
college of ceramics, in
                upstate New York, mastering the techniques of production
stoneware.
                "I had zero social life," he says. "I made pots morning
and night. For
                my English term-paper project, I made a clay pinball
machine. Clay,
                raku, making multiples with molds, experimenting with
weird materials,
                it was all I did."

                Rhodes dropped out just short of graduation, built a
studio in a barn in
                upstate New York and spent seven tenuous years hauling
his plates,
                salad bowls and honey jars to craft shows in his
battered old pickup.
                "How many people will pay $15 for a mug?" he says. "It
was a very
                hard life. The phone was always getting shut off because
the bill was
                overdue. It was cold nine months of the year.

                Iconoclastic by nature, Rhodes increasingly longed to
see the "weird
                San Francisco clay guys. I was working in this cold
studio to perfect a
                teapot that wouldn't drip. Meanwhile, people out here
were making
                couches out of clay, ripping chunks off of a clay cube
and firing them
                as art pieces, just wacky stuff." Ultimately, in the
summer of 1979,
                Rhodes headed west in the pickup; his $1,500 life
savings tucked in
                his jeans, to study sculpture at the San Francisco Art
Institute.

                Henry, Rhodes's 2-year-old yellow Labrador, follows his
master around
                the shop, begging the guys who build shipping cartons to
play
                fetch-the-stick.

                Rhodes proved himself even more inventive than the
natives. At an art
                show, he erected a 25-foot-long, 7-foothigh brick wall
of
                gunpowder-laced mortar; before a cheering crowd, he set
the wall
                ablaze, and the mortar lines erupted into a grid of
hissing flame. He
                also peppered the downtown streets with quirky guerrilla
art: a
                12-foot-tall clay man, a wedge that seemed to be
toppling a building,
                installed at night to amuse and befuddle morning
commuters. "The
                idea was that art shouldn't live in a gallery, where you
pay to get in and
                see it and it's gone in a month," Rhodes says. "It
should be
                everywhere, where you least expect it."

                In 1982, ensconced in a sixth-floor industrial space, he
began
                experimenting with concrete because the creations he
dreamed about
                would no longer fit in a kiln. "I wanted to make larger
items-a giant pot,
                a countertop, stuff that was too big to be fired," he
says. "I wanted to
                make something that was functional but something that
would affect
                the world."

                Concrete proved far less forgiving than clay. "I had a
huge problem with
                warping and cracking. And it didn't always happen right
away.
                Sometimes I'd make something-it would be perfect for
three months,
                then crack down the middle. I smashed a lot of stuff out
of frustration."
                Advice was elusive. Concrete craft in those days was
almost unknown.
                "There were no books, no formulas," he says. "People I
would ask
                about it just thought I was weird."

                He persisted, hanging drywall by day to support himself,
carrying
                94-pound bags of cement up five flights at night.
Tinkering with
                hundreds of formulas, he finally hit upon one that
combined white
                cement, water, sand, an expanded volcanic glass called
perlite and an
                additive he won't divulge. Rhodes is self-effacing but
doesn't deny the
                significance of his creation. "I actually forged a new
material," he says.
                Unlike normal concrete, his mixture was stiff enough to
stand up
                against the vertical walls of molds. He began making and
selling huge,
                hollow globes, cubes and cones that could serve as
planters, benches,
                tables or garden objects. "I realized that this stuff
was almost
                limitless," he says, scooping another baseball-sized
dollop of concrete
                from the wheelbarrow, this time for a paver. "I could
make just about
                anything you could make with wood."

                In 1989, a designer specified Rhodes's veined concrete
for a
                96,000-square-foot San Francisco law office's
secretarial cubes, floor
                tiles and counters. Rhodes took a big gulp and bought a
$25,000
                concrete mixing machine, hired a couple of helpers and
labored 12
                hours a day, seven days a week for four months. "Since I
was such a
                tiny operation, the contractor took out a bond on me,"
he says. "He
                kept saying I could never do it. And working for
lawyers, man, I was
                terrified." But the finished office-by turns sleek and
textured, formidable
                but approachable-won raves from local designers and
interiors
                magazine's award for best law-firm design.

                Rhodes has been in perpetual motion since.

                The reddening sun, visible through the loading-dock
door, slides behind
                the warehouses on the other side of Oakdale Avenue.
Rhodes runs two
                shifts to keep the shop humming-today he has worked
both, as he
                often does. Now, he shoves a sheet of plywood through a
table saw,
                over and over, slicing off 2-inch strips to serve as the
sides of molds. A
                stratum of sawdust has settled over the dust and crusted
concrete on
                his blue coveralls. Without pausing, he strides quickly
to one of the
                shop's 32 casting tables and trowels a skim coat of
dun-tinted
                concrete on a dozen baseboard molding pieces. Then he
cruises to
                another table, snatches up a plastic bucket of acrylic
sealer and
                brushes it on a countertop to render the normally porous
concrete
                stain-resistant.

                Although his motions are quick, he is always exacting.
The yard in
                back of this workshop is Rhodes's boneyard, stacked with
benches,
                globes and other works that were just a shade off in hue
or that
                developed nonstructural hairline cracks. He sells flawed
work cheaply
                to bargain hunters who stop in weekly. Sometimes,
though, he can't
                stand to let a bad piece out at all and smashes it on
the trash heap.

                "If it's not right, I obsess about it," he says.

                He does wonder, sometimes, about this imperative to
sculpt and
                knead, to create and innovate and make something
exquisite with his
                hands. As an adopted child, he sometimes speculates that
the urge is
                genetic, welded to his DNA in a way his parents could
never fathom.
                "My father never 'got' it, that's for sure," Rhodes says
softly. "It does
                feel like it's in my blood." When Kenneth Rhodes died
six years ago,
                he and his son were estranged. The reasons are tangled,
but Buddy's
                rejection of his father's enterprises, out of allegiance
to the craft of
                concrete, was "certainly a big part of it," he says.

                That gulf can't be closed now. And the work still
beckons. Rhodes
                gathers the strips he cut earlier and carries them to a
drill press. He
                begins to predrill each piece to make it easier to
insert the screws
                when he starts building another mold. All around him the
second-shift
                guys start packing up to go home.

                                [ Back to "In the News" ]

                      © 1997-2000, Buddy Rhodes Studio, Inc. All Rights
Reserved
                           2130 Oakdale Ave., San Francisco, CA 94124