Cob: RE: Silica sand ?

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Mon Dec 3 12:25:37 CST 2001

 Just a question. I'm doing my lime plasters right now! Yes that means
I've finally (after 3 years)
 have all my walls structurally complete. My question, however is that
for the final coat I mix my lime
 with this sand available from the local sand pit, just up the road.
They call it silica sand or silcon sand
 or something like that. It is very very very fine. I had a bucket of it
once in back of my pickup truck and
 by the time I got home, the bucket was  empty. One of the truck drivers
mentioned that it can be a health
 hazard, cause black lung or something like that. Sorry for the
vagueness, but can find out more details
 if needed. The stuff is super white and fine. I've made plasteres with
it before and was carefull about
 breathing it. But thought I'd get some feedback.

 Does anyone know the proper name for this stuff?

 Will it be a problem after the silca sand / lime plaster dries on the
wall?

 any other advice?

 Thanks

 Pat Newberry