Cob: Re: Japanese Earthen Building

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Sun Dec 9 20:46:16 CST 2001

Kevin,
  I don't know of any construction sites in the Osaka area, but, the in
the kansai area, near you, Gifu-Ken, Aichi-Ken, still use earthen walls
relatively a lot and have sources of good soil.   In eastern Kochi on
Shikoku Island across the bay from Osaka, is where the famous "tosa
shikkui" (Tosa Lime-Earth-fermented straw plaster) is made.  It's used
for exterior walls, and lime-plaster reliefs.

  For new construction, you might locate a "Doro-kon-ya", (earth wall
buiding mud maker), there are at least three in the country and not far
from Osaka, I believe.  It's an esoteric business so you might have to
ask a local "sakan-ya" (masonary man) about where they are located.  I
could find no web pages for them.

  For existing old buildings,  Kyoto probably has the most remaining,
since they preserve the old important buildings and tea houses with the
same technology that they were made with.

Darel