Cob: Re: comp. tests:code cob

ben graham benfrankg at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:22:37 CST 2001

<P>Hey, </P>
<P>Ive been asked to post this info, so here ya go.</P>
<P>Here are some results from some compression tests that I had done in cooperation with an engineering firm in Denver Co.  We developed our own testing method derived from testing concrete cylinders.  This involved stuffing site mixed cob into cores and letting them sit for certain periods with the cap on for the first week and off thereafter.</P>
<P>Core 1  23 days cured 140psi</P>
<P>Core 2 23  days           141psi</P>
<P>Core 3 105 days           219psi</P>
<P>Core 4 105 days            226psi</P>
<P>These test were for my own purposes and required the design criteria that I developed for the structure.  I think I needed 20 psi for the small structure and so I was in the black.  The cores were crushed in their big crushing machine.  (Don't know the name)  The Denver code did not address cob.  It did have some stuff on cement stabilized earth.  I used clay and sand from the site with Eastern Co barley straw.  The proportions of clay-sand was 1:3 and I mixed it with a bobcat.  The strongest cob Ive ever made.  The clay was awesome, strong and stable. Not very expansive.  If anyone has more interest in this specific testing please feel free to contact me.  </P>
<P>I have not kept up on the code discussion, but I hope this is useful.  A more in depth article has been published in the CobWeb.<BR><BR><BR>Natural design/build/planning/consulting and educational </P></DIV>resources for cooperative healthy integrated relationships in nature and culture
<DIV></DIV>Ben Graham Spiral Project
<DIV></DIV>Burlington, VT Northern App. Mnt Forests
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: *Lootvik* <LOOTVIK at USERMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>>To: "ben graham" <BENFRANKG at HOTMAIL.COM>, coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: code cob
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:52:48 -0800
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Hi Ben;
<DIV></DIV>>You really should post those results on the web somewhere. It would
<DIV></DIV>>be
<DIV></DIV>>especially nice if there were a photo of the lab results and the
<DIV></DIV>>engineer's
<DIV></DIV>>comments and stamp. Unless you consider it proprietary or
<DIV></DIV>>something.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>This is the sort of thing people joining this list are begging for.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>*Lootvik*
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>ben graham wrote:
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>>I engineered and built a cob structure (a shrine, not a house) and
<DIV></DIV>>>I
<DIV></DIV>>>worked with a structural engineering firm to test the cob for
<DIV></DIV>>>compressive
<DIV></DIV>>>strength. The testing was not required. I developed the test
<DIV></DIV>>>along with
<DIV></DIV>>>the engineer. There was no test specifically made for cob. I came
<DIV></DIV>>>up with
<DIV></DIV>>>good results though. Over 200 psi.
<DIV></DIV>>>
<DIV></DIV>>>
<DIV></DIV>>>
<DIV></DIV>>>
<DIV></DIV>>>Natural design/build/planning/consulting and educational
<DIV></DIV>>>resources for cooperative healthy integrated relationships in
<DIV></DIV>>>nature and
<DIV></DIV>>>culture
<DIV></DIV>>>Ben Graham Spiral Project
<DIV></DIV>>>Burlington, VT Northern App. Mnt Forests
<DIV></DIV>>> >From: dtebb
<DIV></DIV>>> >Reply-To: dtebb
<DIV></DIV>>> >To: coblist at deatech.com
<DIV></DIV>>> >Subject: Re: Cob: code cob
<DIV></DIV>>> >Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 22:24:00 -0800
<DIV></DIV>>> >
<DIV></DIV>>> >Here in parts of British Columbia, cob is now permitted but with
<DIV></DIV>>>a post and
<DIV></DIV>>> >beam structure. There was 1 fully load bearing house built by
<DIV></DIV>>>Cobworks
<DIV></DIV>>> >(Cobworks.com) that has a permit, but due to the huge amount of
<DIV></DIV>>>interest by
<DIV></DIV>>> >others to build, the local permits people came up with the post
<DIV></DIV>>>and beam
<DIV></DIV>>> >compromise, I guess it is what they are comfortable with.
<DIV></DIV>>> >
<DIV></DIV>>> >Ian
<DIV></DIV>>> >
<DIV></DIV>>