Cob: RE: Any body building with cob in the Athens, Ga. area?

Howard ecoarchitech1 at directvinternet.com
Wed Dec 12 07:57:54 CST 2001

I did a strawbale house for some folks in Farmington, GA about 30 miles south of
Athens. It was a conventional floor and roof on a post and beam frame with strawbale
infill with red clay and lime plaster.   Find someone with experience to help you
with codes, someone who speaks their language shouldn't have trouble because of that
nice little section in the code that allows for alternative building methods.  I've
had codes people hold a project up but once they are educated about strawbale and
given all the proper test results etc. it wasn't a problem.  Most codes people want
a post and beam structure, however.  Load bearing cob could be a problem for them
but I wouldn't say impossible.

Howard