Cob: regarding the root quandery

Greyraven Shadowalker greyraven_r at yahoo.com
Tue May 7 00:40:44 CDT 2002

I talked with a forestry officer from the local dept.
today, he confirmed the "dripline + anticipated
growth" theory today. He said that depending on soil
depth, quality, etc., the general root structure could
easily compare greater than the height of the tree,
but that the critical zone, regarding foundations
and/or soil compaction, is aproximately 10' outside of
the dripline, plus any additional distance to allow
for reasonibly predictable future growth. This was all
taking into consideration that the "intrusion" of a
foundation and/or soil compaction was occuring on only
one side of the tree, if the tree will be "neighbored"
on more than one side increase the relative distance
out accordingly (judgement call here folks).
Apparently we are faced with the same options we
originally perceived regarding;

1-Don't build by trees. (Easy to say, but that's not
always the situation of the land to be built on)

2-Use responsible/sustainable management via selective
harvesting to create an appropriate sized sun/root
space for our building. (If done with some thought,
this could suplement the need for "imported"
materials)

3-Tread deeply and carelessly and defeat our purpose
as stewards. (I find this one the least acceptible
personally)

4-Go with a grade (or very shallow) level rubble
trench or floating pad foundation as far out (or to
the outside) of the critical zone as possible.
Apparently soil compaction is not as detrimental as a
foundation, for newly expanding roots to find their
way into. This will, however, open you up to the
possibility of structural shifting from roots growing
under your foundation. I would suggest some research
into floating pad foundations, it sounds like a
potential solution to serveral issues regarding
construction, owner-building, foundation/site
excavation, financial, drainage/waterproofing, and
"footprint".

I hope this has been helpful, and not to badly out of
date.

=====
"When I look into the abyss it stares back at me,
but not as the cold dark beast you perceive it to be.
When I am gazed upon by the abyss I see the eyes of a
mother, a lover, an old friend.
When I look into the warm familiar eyes of the abyss
I see that which needs me as much as I have need.
I remember, I rejoice, I renew!"