Cob: Insurance

DONA ENGELHARDT do at frontier.net
Tue Aug 20 15:54:08 CDT 2002

Hi all,
Thanks for your helpful comments on cob and cold temps.

I currently have home owners insurance which covers my house and its
contents.  Does anyone know how this is handled when owning a cob home?  I
can't imagine the insurance company not putting up a fight to insure the
structure and its contents.  I'm assuming I'd just have to insure the
contents and rely on the fact that I built the cob house well enough so as
not to worry about it.  This comes up for me as it seems the West is on fire
and the East is underwater!  I know cob is stronger than conventional
housing as well as fireproof, but I'm sure the forces of nature could send
something my way that it couldn't withstand and I'm still a little too
mainstream to feel comfortable without insurance coverage!  Does anyone have
any knowlege or experience in this area?