Cob: questions

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Thu Oct 3 21:44:07 CDT 2002

Michael,
   I believe the University of California at Eureka, built a human
powered electrical generator.   They even had a unit that would required
about 10 people, and was built out of bicycles.  I'm sorry I don't have
the url for it.  It was about 2 years ago that I read it.

Michael Bowen wrote:

> 1) I am wondering if there is anyone out in cob land that has used exercise
> equipment to power/charge batteries? I plan on having solar and wind as
> primary energy resources and thought since I will be using a bike to pump
> water from the well, maybe rig it up as a power source too. Any Ideas?
>
> 2) I am plainning on using a energy efficient fridge during the summer
> months when solar charge will be the highest and was thinking of
> alternatives for when its unplugged in the winter. I would like a area close
> to the home or inside that could be used as a fridge during winter. Anyone
> completly off grid and running a fridge in the winter in northeast? or
> similar scenario?

For this you must think of the refridgerator as the two devices it
normally is.
	1.) the simpler refridgerator part, that keeps food/drinks/etc cold
38-40 degrees or so, and the
	2.) Freezer part, which is ??? 28 degree? or so.

Very good idea.  Should save lots of energy.  Sorry that I don't know of
any actual cases.
You might try the earthsip people about their walk in refriderator, but
I haven't read about it.  I could be used as a pre-cooler, i.e., keep
the room cooler so the actual refrideratore would require less energy.
But, I don't think anybody came up with a funtional real unit.

> FYI: I am building a round earth burmed  cord wood 2 story structure that
> will have cob walls and cob furniture inside.
> Location: Upstate NY

Sounds great.  I wish you well and smooth construction.