Cob:: earthen oven --Lorena

Darel Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Sun Nov 10 22:37:52 CST 2002

Yes, as Charmaine discussed below in here e-mail, stoves like this have
been made in the Far East.

The pages are in Japanese but the pictures tell a lot.  Click on a
picture for a larger view.

You can see the opening on the top where pots with a lip around the
upper cicumference holds it.

Not shown in the pictures but, a clever design has the firebox on the
outside so most of the smoke was outside.  But, you had to go out to
feed the fire.

I found a page with pictures of the construction of this type of cob
stove.  See them below:

http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/%7Etakumi/traditional/suginami_kamado/index.htm

And in this bunch is a picture of a cob/brick mold.

http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/%7Etakumi/traditional/hongoudai/kamado/index.htm

Cheers,
  Darel