Cob: cob over traditional house?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 12 08:20:23 CST 2002

I went looking for Out on Bale archives, couldn't find them.  And they might
not have included the little squib "So-and-so is planning to encase their
mobile home in straw, come help. November whenever"

I opened the second of the mobile home threads and yes, you do get to put a
nice overhanging roof there--for either cob or straw.  To the extent that,
building four walls and a roof, you almost might as well build the whole
thing.  I've been meaning to put bales around the bottom of my travel
trailer (lots of air leaks and Asian Lady Beetles), but I kept thinking I'd
get to move it away from the projected retaining wall ANY DAY NOW.  Maybe if
I do it, the wall will happen.

Lisa wrote (it looks like direct to me, so I'm not snipping
here)Unfortunately, it seems that nobody had an answer for this... I was
looking forward to hearing it, too!

Actually I'd say AIR leaks are the biggest problem in my 20-year-old
mobile home, lol... closely followed by excessive radiational heating
in the summer... both of which would presumably be helped by a cob or
bale exterior!  But the two threads I've seen on a mobile home forum
don't bode well:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?s=0b88c6832b80367de34be66
dcb52be33&threadid=98022

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?s=0b88c6832b80367de34be66
dcb52be33&threadid=57280

If either of you hear any more about this issue, please do share!