Cob: Lady Bugs

Myra Bonhage-Hale lapaix at iolinc.net
Tue Nov 12 09:40:51 CST 2002

Couldn't help but reply to your lady bug problem.  As you can see on my web
site www.lapaixherbaljourney.com (click on Lady Bug Contest), my home, a
leaky old farm house with a log cabin connected, has been a hotbed for lady
bugs for a few years.  I have tried all kinds of techniques (I found out
that I am allergic to their odor - which causes respiratory problems) to
thwart the multi-spotted Asian buggers, but the one which is working well so
far is a black light in a darkened, warm room.  This attracts the heat
seekers and due to a talcum powder slide device, they collect down in the
bottom and can be released (that's up to you) or disposed of outside.  I
also put essential oil of either lavender or peppermint on a cotton ball in
the bottom of the device to keep the odor down.  You can also vacuum them up
(putting an old hose in the wand of your vacuum to collect them  so you
don't spend too much $ on continually replacing bags) - use a cotton ball
with essential oil in the hose too - so the odor of the lady bugs does not
permeate your home.  Hope you have electricity in your trailer and this
works for you.  Thanks for all your good advice on cobbing.  P.S.  I wonder
if cob houses have the lady bug problem????  Namaste.  Myra