[Cob] Soundproofing on a traditionally built wall

Elizabeth juswanabe2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 01:19:40 CST 2004

Someone else mentioned that cob would probably  be too heavy to apply inside a conventional building (besides being messy).  Also, cob is pretty solid.  Solid mass conducts sound.  What you want is something that won't carry sound.  There is a process related to cob called "light straw".  Light straw is straw soaked in clay slip, then packed into a solid mass.  From what I have read, it is usually used as infill in timber-framed walls, but some people are also using it to plaster cob buildings to provide a layer of insulation.  A light layer of plaster containing straw or something like pumice might help, but I don't really think it would make much difference.  See http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dirtcheapbuilderbooks/moosligstraw.html for a book on this process.

However, your best bet might be cork.  Cork is a natural product; the thick bark of cork oak trees. It is harvested without harming the tree.   The thick dead layer of outer bark can be removed, leaving the thin growth layer undisturbed.  You can buy thick, light cork panels that will attach with glue or tape to your drywall.  It would have an attractive natural look (much nicer than acoustical tiles), and the air pockets in the cork would deaden sound vibrations.  I believe you can buy cork flooring too.

However--if this is an ongoing, all-day problem:  can you just deal with the neighbor, or ask the owner's association to deal with him or her? If the neighbor is a renter, you could talk to the owner about it.  Any kind of direct dealings over noise issues can lead to hard feelings, though.  People who think they are entitled to rattle the pictures on your wall usually aren't, somehow, very easy to deal with.

Elizabeth

mldunn.9 at juno.com wrote:
I want to block out the loud bass from my neighbor that penetrates
through our common wall. I'm curious to see if cob will help me solve
this problem. Any suggestions, resources? I own my condo. lulu