[Cob] Re: Coblist Digest, Vol 2, Issue 13

Kyle Towers ktowers at locl.net
Wed Feb 18 17:13:14 CST 2004

    I apologize to the list for responding to an off-topic statement.  My
response was merely meant to state that that losses to insects have
decreased as a percentage of the total crop under conditions in which they
should have increased exponentially (higher crop density, reduced tillage,
etc.)

    Everybody eats.  Without pesticides, some significant fraction of people
would have to forgo that activity.  One may not like that fact, but that
doesn't change the fact.  Of course, there is good news on the horizon.
Recombinant DNA techniques are putting the pesticides in the crops in the
form of insect hormones and such.  They have no effect on non-pest species,
no carryover, no overspray, no leaching!  We should all rejoice as the era
of mass-spraying begins to end.

    Any future feedback, criticism and judgment about off-topic issues can
be directed to me personally rather than boring everyone on the list.

Thanks,
Kyle