[Cob] community college classes

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 28 08:25:16 CDT 2004

   Cat here,

    check around for local groups that do volunteer work around the
   community.  Some churches do this. My sister joined Hud.  It's hands
   on work building and remodeling, sheetrock, ect.  You may be able to
   learn allot more by doing this than sitting in a classroom.  It also
   will give you a great idea what you like to do and what you don't!
   With these groups you get allot of different things and you can choose
   your time to be there.
   for the good of all C.
   >From: "''' '''" <ataraktos at hotmail.com> >To: coblist at deatech.com
   >Subject: [Cob] community college classes >Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004
   09:44:41 -0400 > >with a future owner-built cob home in mind, i'd like
   to take some >community college classes. i'm reading 'the hand
   sculpted house' and >the authors keep emphasizing "skill" -
   unfortunately, i don't have >very much! at least, not in terms of any
   kind of building >experience. i can drive a straight nail (90% of the
   time) but that's >about it ... > >so, i was wondering if anyone had
   any input on what would be the >most useful types of classes? the
   nearest community college has >welding, carpentry, electrical,
   pipefitting and masonry ... i'm sure >all of the courses would be
   useful, in some ways, since building a >cob house (with electricity)
   demands all of these skills (and >probably many more). i don't have
   the money to afford comprenhensive >study of all of them, however, and
   am wondering which one(s) may >give the maximum benefit after taking a
   class or two. most of the >course descriptions indicate the classes
   are focused on industrial >environments. > >i'd also plan to attend a
   workshop before delving into cob building >(at least on a large
   scale), but i'm sure the more general stuff i >knew beforehand, the
   more i'd benefit from a workshop. >