[Cob] tree poles for cold climate insulation

pheadoux pheadoux at usit.net
Sun May 16 21:33:39 CDT 2004

You have heard of square pegs in round holes?  That is actually not a mistake.  It is a very strong construction technique, also known as 'trunnels' [mispronunciation of tree nails]  The rational for doing it this way is simplicity a round hole is natural with any sort of boring tool and the square pegs can be split much faster than turning.  The fit is actually improved by the distortion of the corners as the peg is driven into place.

  not a bad idea, no cold-conducting metal inside the building, I had thought
  about it as I wrote that.  How are you seeing the pegs?  As hand carved the
  way a Windsor Chair back is carved, just whittled or with a spoke-shave,
  store-bought dowels, or turned by us on a lathe?  The last might take the
  most skill, least time.  Wouldn't have to be motorized or even very big for
  a lathe.

  why not wood pegs instead of screws?