[Cob] cob paving?

Steve Ringering ringersa at pa1.ah.org
Wed Jun 2 05:34:48 CDT 2004

I've been so fortunate to receive the coblist these past several months
and I finally have a contribution(?).  Up until this year the Oregon
Coast Aquarium had an earthen, broad walkway leading to their front
door.  It is bordered by 12" sq pavers on each side and as much as about
24' wide an the hard packed surface was thinly covered with finely
crushed rock.  I was so very proud of them for using such an earth
friendly medium for this very prominent "boulevard".  When I returned
with my family for a visit this May I was disgusted to find that
BLACKTOP had replaced that lovely "green" work of art.  OK, now to my
idea... I am today going to make (start) a pathway of earthfriendly
materials to connect my home and my parents home (30ft long and three
feet (average ) in width).  1-2" of gravel to grade and provide drainage
from a micro climate that is fairly moist  and a cob type pavement mix.
My plan is to mix clay and 1/4 " crushed rock 1:3 and apply 2" over the
graded and packed gravel.  I will have a border of used brick which is
to end up about 1/2" higher at it's surface than the "pavement".  Any
loose gravel left from the paving process or applied later will be
retained on the path.
     Does this sound doable?  I may adjust the mix as I'm mixing the
cob.  I'm not worried about testing the mix as it shouldn't meet with
any real stress.  Just foot traffic.  Does anyone have experience in
this?
    Also,  I am looking into stackwood to possibly add variety to at
least one wall and have been gleaning any information to become more
comfortable with the idea.  Has anyone knowledge of a list similar to
coblist for stackwood enthusiasts??  Coblist has been both entertaining
and educational.  Thank you all!
Steve

Grace and Peace,

STEVE