[Cob] roofing idea

Grahams cfgraham at starpower.net
Fri Jul 2 11:41:11 CDT 2004

Roofing seems to me to be one of the biggest expenses and most difficult tasks.  I want a reflective roof, as they are proven to reduce indoor tempuratures in the summer and was wondering what everyomne thought of using aluminum flashing as long horizontal "shingles" across a rectangular roof?  I see today the building store sells  a 24" x 50ft roll for $57.  That is far less than the price per square foot for a metal roof. What do you think?  I was thinking of basically laying them and nailing them overlapping like shingles, but not bothering to cut them into smaller pieces.  Any reason it wouldn't work?  How far do you think they should overlap?

I thought I heard of someone making a roof out of aluminum cans...anyone know about that? (Itseems like it would be LOTS of effort.)

Caroline