[Cob] International Building Code

Deborah Denmark ddenmark at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 13 17:26:36 CDT 2004

I got very brave today!
I went to the building inspectors office in Jackson County, NC where I live and asked some questions.
The big bad building inspector was not to be seen and basically I found out the initial things I need to do to get a permit for a cob house of my design.  This process most likely varies from one county to the next.
The most important thing I learned was that North Carolina is definitely governed by the International Building Code and that I would have to purchase the BOOK on this code if I need it to design and build, meaning if I don't know what the code is.  Which I don't.  But I would want to exceed the code I would think.
Well, I already know this information is expensive and I am pretty sure that there is no code specifically for cob in the IBC.
Please, someone correct me if I am mistaken on this.
Also, I am thinking that perhaps we could as a group purchase one copy of the IBC and share it amongst us.
Would that be illegal?  If illegal to copy and disperse, then perhaps we could lend it around?
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Deborah
ddenmark at earthlink.net