[Cob] codes-and builders

Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Fri Jul 23 15:19:00 CDT 2004

  I concur!!...remember   " a house built to code is the worst house you
can build"  MEANING that you are doing the minimum for safety... Paul
has some good ideas, and I  like his forthright comments : >

Most owner builders want to build as cheaply as possible, and we all
have agendas on social, spiritual, earth-loving aspects.   But codes
are there for a reason ( usually to protect you from unscrupulous
contractors) but with more OB homes created  there is a need to learn
on BOTH sides-- code officials and  owner builders.

Does anyone remember those 1950s houses with  narrow  bedroom windows
close to the ceiling?   it took fires and people dying because they
could not get out of the bedroom before codes  insisted that there were
  windows starting  2' from the floor, and a door egress too.

you can buy a  code check book ($16. I think from www.codecheck.com )
for electrical, overall codes, etc so you know how  to frame a door,
types of wiring required, etc

Charmaine Taylor Publishing  books at dirtcheapbuilder.com

Building Codes- USA- OB input
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/codes.html

PO Box 375 Cutten CA   95534 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  www.papercrete.com