[Cob] codes-and builders

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 23 16:07:18 CDT 2004

Lucky you taking a week off to go cob.

The Hand-Sculpted House has a fair amount of information on hybrid houses,
IIRC.

Think how long it's taking you to build at the workshop, think how long it
will take you to build at home, design accordingly.

The obvious sources for design include the Evans/Smiley/Smith book,
Christopher Alexander's A Pattern Language--check out his website as well,
especially the section, if you can find it, "designing a small place for one
person."  So it's for two or four, expand accordingly.

Know that some things seem impossible the first time you try them, easy the
next day after the instruction and the reality settles into your muscles.
Ingrid writes:

I'm new to cob building and posting here so hello everyone!

  My boyfriend and I are taking the 7 day cob workshop (our first) in a
couple days (July 25-31) in Coquille, OR and we'd like to start building
next year.  This thread had a lively (and informative) discussion on
building strawbale insulation covered by cob. Can anyone direct me to
the post that talks about this type of building in detail, or a website
where I can get more information? Apologies if this has been covered -
the topic caught my attention. I feel very cmmitted to cob walls, but
like the idea of strawbale insulation.

Also, does anyone have good resources on designing your cob home? I've
been sketching obsessively, and would love to be inspired by some great
homes.  There are some beautiful homes that I've found on the internet,
just curious if anyone wanted to share their photos or links to their
favorite cob houses.

Thanks everyone and happy cobbing:)
Ingrid