FW: Re: [Cob] Solar Living Institute

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 19 18:08:37 CDT 2004

Deanne sent this to me.  Probably should have been to the whole list, and in
any case I wasn't the >one who asked if anyone knew about their internship
program.  And I can't remember who did.

>Anyone familiar with the Solar Living Institute in Hopland, CA? They
>have an interesting internship program. I was just wondering if
>anyone had any knowledge of or experience with the organization.

I have limited information about Real Goods...BUT
I have visited the Solar Living Center in Hopland 2 times, and am SO
impressed with the whole setup.  I have heard Real Good criticized for
charging too
much money, but I LOVE what they have done with the money to create a model
of
natural building, alternative energy and permaculture for all to see.  The
first time I visited I spent 7 hours just wandering around the store and
acreage.
I have not seen anything else like it anywhere....solar energy running a
water
system with flow forms, and a place for kids to play with water
diversion....
guava cooling towers, living strikers made of willow woven together, a
cosmic
sundial and calendar outside the strawbale retail store that was 80 degrees
inside when it was 105 outside...and so much more.
  I believe that they are a fantastic teaching place in that respect.  I
have
money invested in them $2500...and from what I know, I think they are doing
good job, and believe that they are motivated by a vision of
sustainability...and work hard to make it happen and share it with others.
Deanne

Deanne Bednar
248 628 1887  ecoartdb at aol.com  Studio Calendar: www.uheac.org/links.html
PO Box 733, Oxford, MI 48370
Case Study of the Strawbale Studio by the State of MI Energy Dept.:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/CIS_EO_Inside_case13_41027_7.htm
SB Studio website: www.geocities.com/rainforest/vines/7729  (under
re-construction)
Detroit Green Map  www.detroitgreenmap.org