[Cob] Earth floors

Raduazo at aol.com Raduazo at aol.com
Fri Dec 10 07:25:28 CST 2004

In a message dated 12/9/2004 1:30:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ap615 at hotmail.com writes:
I've run it through the--half-inch--screen as dry as possible--not very,
given that the clay pile is outside--which means that we basically extruded
bits through the screen, letting the easy stuff go on down (into a garbage
can) and sometimes putting the bigger pieces away for later consideration

But I'm using galvanized wire mesh, the kind you use for rabbit cages.
    That is what I am using too. I am wondering if I am being a little too
fussy. When I did earth plasters one or two little stones in the mix were a real
pain as they always rolled to the surface and made getting a smooth finish
impossible, but this floor layer is going on 1/2 inch thick minimum so maybe 1/2
inch stones would not be as great a problem. Anyway I screened enough clay
yesterday to do 4 batches.
    I have found that the best way to force the tapiocas through the screen
without damaging it is by using a bottle as a rolling pin. The tapiocas and
stone than do not go through are very dry so I mixed 1/2 bucket of the dry stuff
with 1 bucket of water using my drywall mixer in an electric drill and found
that the rocks settle right out and can be scooped out of the bottom. I am
letting the clay settle out to pour off the water tomorrow. When I do Chris's
floor we will have plenty of clay to work with so I will throw tapioca rock/mix
away.
    I may also decide to quit at the 1/4 inch screen stage. If the finish is
1/2 inch thick the 1/4 inch rocks should not be a problem. At least that is a
theory.
Ed