[Cob] Earth floors

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 13:25:13 CST 2004

We did, but we put it down in a single inch and a quarter layer over a
seriously tamped gravel base.  It floated in nicely, except in one of the
patches which might not have been big enough to work easily.

Now I see why you have been so concerned about screening it-- a quarter inch
finish layer on a wall really won't allow the "cream" to float over the
existing layer if there's ANYTHING bigger than medium sized sand in there.
Ed writes:
     Finely screened clay gives me the finished appearance that I want and I
was afraid that the lumps of clay and stone would roll under the trowel when
try to trowel it smooth. I had this rolling problem when I did my wall
finish
and I presumed that it would apply to floors even though I am applying a
much
thicker layer to the floor. Has anyone done an earth floor without screening
clay in the finish layer?
Ed