[Cob] COBBING in CT?

s Bay hi_eagle at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:07:37 CST 2005

Hello!

My parent's have a beautiful 7 ac site in NE Connecticut and have asked us
to build near them.  They've got a creek that comes from a natural spring
uphill, running right thru the property, and it is backed on 3 sides by
State Wetlands, so it'll never get built on.  They live on a mountain, that
is very rocky and I've been dreaming of building cob there.

With the creek, I have a good chance of finding some clay right??

but the rest of the terrain is sooo rocky I'm worried about labor for
digging a foundation.....

Maybe no foundation, or a plinthe (sp?) or perhaps a shallow rubble trench
foundation as done by Frank Loyd Wright?????

Also about toilets.  I've done the composting humanure toilet and with great
success, should we just stick with that?  I've got bids for the well at 300
ft deep for $9 thou! Yikes That's all our savings and then what about
sewer???!!???

Can I do a greywater pond with this location?  CT isn't as cold as MN.

Any ideas on catching rainwater till we save for a well??

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!   We've got about 10$thou saved up for
our dream cob house and an old airstream trailer ready for us to live in
while we're in construction. Plus with the parents right next door it's easy
to do laundry and and such.

Sarah Markie

POLLYWOG ALL-IN-ONE AND PLATYPUS FITTED DIAPER PATTERNS
http://www.pollywogbabies.com