[Cob] COBBING in CT?

Marlin lightearth at onebox.com
Tue Jan 4 16:23:24 CST 2005

I'd do some form of cordwood (we like "cobscrap" - scrap 2x4s rather than cut tree wood - email me for details) to improve the performance of the cob building from an insulation standpoint and the fact it uses 1/2 or less the amount of cob, which is huge part of the effort! Also build small and modular so that you can create a livable space (extended kitchen) and then add on.......little is big when it comes to COMPLETING a cob building :)

Humanure style works great - our deviation in the city - is to use biobags in the buckets, lots of sawdust, and throw the bags into 55 gal. barrels that have aeration tubes in them (again offline for details)....all the above improves the ease and tidiness of the system, important for city situation!

Shallow foundation will work if you hit solid rock, you've got a foundation, clay is what heaves and lifts buildings not solid rock, that makes a good foundation. You might also OUTSILATE around the foundation to keep it warmer in general. Good idea for a little work, warms to building envelope completely.

Simple, cascaded 55 gal barrels (another good urban waste product) work well for rain catchment if you're needing a quick temp solution. There's great cheap drinking water filters for what little you actually consume rather than water or bathe with.......

Last for now, recycled GOOD windows and old patio doors (double paned tempered) along with a good roofing solution (metal?) will be BIG cost drivers in your building so look for them early and you'll save boatloads of money.

any code issues, probably in CT?

Marlin
           info at outtathebox.org
           www.outtathebox.org
"There are solutions to the major problems of our time, some of them even simple. But they require a radical shift in our perceptions, our thinking, and our values."
   - [Fritjof Capra]