[Cob] Strange Idea yes or no?

Adren Schmitt aj at safelink.net
Wed Jan 19 22:11:45 CST 2005

I have been thinking about building a round strawbale house.   I have several questions.  Starting with the floor.  I was going to mix sand and clay and cover a well packed piece of land. (4 or 5 inches thick)   I would pack and level this with a pay loader and fine tune the levelness of it with a or leveling 2X4.  using a packer i.e. like a jack hammer to level it.   This whole area would be on a knoll.   (Clay floor with linseed oil added )   Then I was thinking about putting a very heavy duty 3 inch plank door frame in.   Lay 25 year vinyl plastic on the ground in a circle (donut shape)   Lay bales of straw on the donut shaped plastic.   Pull up the vinyl on the outside about 12 inches and then encircle the whole wall with 8 feet of fence.   (i.e. no climb fencing---2X4" mesh or regular field fencing ---to keep hogs in--- )   I would take some wire stretchers and pull the fencing, at the door way, into a very tight circle.   I would then attach it to the door frame.  Then take Digger Chain rods ( From the potato harvesters here in Idaho. Both ends are hooked)  cut one end off and pound the 2 foot rod into the earth at an angle catching the fencing so it is anchored)  ( so the wolf or a high wind wouldn't blow my house away)    Which way would I put my stem end part of the bale?   In or out.   I would like to use an earthen plaster on the inside and outsides.   I will stop with this phase.   I have a lot of questions about a roof but will wait for you feed back on these ideas.