[Cob] Strange Idea yes or no?

jane at kirstinelund.dk jane at kirstinelund.dk
Thu Jan 20 02:11:38 CST 2005

I'm not sure that I get the exact idea (language problems) but I have one
thing to say:

Don't enclose straw bale in plastic!!!!! There will always be some water
trapped in the bales, and if it cannot get out (and it can't through the
vinyl) the bales will rot. Maybe it will work if you put in lot's of "air
holes", but I would't like the idea anyway.

This is a problem for all mixing of natural and non-breathable materilas.
The wood structures in my uncle's roof was completely rotten only 8 years
after it was build, because the materials were too tight and there was too
little ventilation. Straw bales are one of the building materials most
likely to rot, and as water will always get in somehow, it is vital that
it can get out again.

Moreover, one of our community members is a chemist, and when we wanted to
put on a (temporary) vinyl floor in our citchen, he urged us not to,
because vinyl gives out some kind of foam that is definitely not healthy.
And he isn't hysterical. When some other person is worried about something
being poinsonous, he usually says "it's just chemistry".

I'm sorry to sound so negative, but that is my opinion on the idea - if I
understood it right.

Jane