[Cob] Strange Idea yes or no?

Elizabeth Fox e.fox at att.net
Thu Jan 20 15:09:27 CST 2005

snip
> Lay 25 year vinyl
> plastic on the ground in a circle (donut shape) Lay bales of straw on the
> donut shaped plastic. Pull up the vinyl on the outside about 12 inches and
snip

Because of the moisture accumulation on the inside (however slight it is) I would either put weep holes in the plastic at the bottom of the wall, or leave off with bringing up the plastic altogether.  The plaster itself will be the moisture barrier (and anyway, how would the plaster adhere to the plastic?)

> then encircle the whole wall with 8 feet of fence. (i.e. no climb
> fencing---2X4" mesh or regular field fencing ---to keep hogs in--- )

There are some who say the wire mesh is not needed, that the plaster adheres better without it, and that a thick enough coat of plaster will act as a sheer wall.  I feel that anything you can do to stabilize the bales before the plaster veneer goes on the better.

>Which way would I put my stem end part of the bale? In or out.

I don't understand this question.

Beth