[Cob] RE: cob stonefoundation Ash & stone walls

dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Tue Apr 26 17:57:53 CDT 2005

On Apr 26, 2005, at 12:41 PM, Mary Lou McFarland wrote:

> Because I have no personal life,   <<<  nah! you are just a woman with
> a  curious mind!  I met the love of my life over an email argument
> about  Portland Cement--many years ago..haha

  "Under the Tuscan Sun".  It's a chick flick but natural builders
should watch it.  she removes a section of wall to create a larger
doorway.  Some of the stones are round some seem to be dressed and I
wondered how they had managed to put that wall together.   Though there
was no wire...but would simple forms have done the trick in the past?

> Stone wall building by Schwenke, now out of print but replaced with a
> bigger color book by an  Aussie based guy***   .which shows how to
> slipform stones.  and yes it was done with form boards.

> I'm also fascinated by portland cement options.  according to National
> Geographic the Romans didn't have much luck with there concrete/mortar
> mixes until their empire expanded to places where there was a specific
> kind of volcanic sand.  >>> (ash)

a pozzolan for their lime based cements

   Their concrete made of this stuff is STILL holding up better than
modern portland.

 >>> true,   many UK sites there are underground  baths, pools and
waterways that are very functional and move water.

   Maybe if you're in the pacific NW you could run up to Mt. St. Helens
with a pick up and try a few mortar recipes.

 >> illegal to get it now. Many years ago my secretary went up there to
visit a relative and brought me a jarful.. now I am an outlaw I guess.

other ash additives like Metokaolins   which are used to reduce cement
use. there is a WORLD of  ash products used in commercail apps so
reduction can be made of OPC use  both weight and cost.

***Stone House: A Guide to Self-Building with Slipforms BY Tomm Stanley
- $33.
Publisher's Book overview: “Like the marriage of stone and masonry,
this book mixes lively narrative with practical how-to information to
create something strong and beautiful. Slipform construction combines
natural on-site materials with adaptable, innovative methods, and Tomm
Stanley takes the state of the art one step further, offering some new
techniques based on his own experience in building his home. Stone
House will inspire and encourage prospective stone builders all over
the world!” --Ben Watson, Senior Editor,    author Tomm Stanley was
born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  He now resides near Christchurch on the
South Island of New Zealand with his partner, Sabrina. They live in
their self-built, solar- and wind-powered, off-the-grid stone home.
PHOTO: building on the slipform home

Charmaine Taylor Publishing    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
PO Box 375 Cutten CA  95534 USA  -- 707-441-1632
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com  &  www.papercrete.com
New& Used books: www.biblio.com