[Cob] Linseed Oil

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:22:33 CDT 2005

My floor is still waiting patiently for me to finish it.

But I looked at those instructions and thought, if they're putting the
mineral spirits or that expensive Bioshield stuff on to increase
penetration, doesn't it make better sense to do it backwards--the most
solvent first?

So I did it that way--mostly solvent, back to the last layers pure linseed
oil.   this was the little block in the paint roller tray that sat out in
the rains for a year before I looked at it again.  Still beaded nicely.

Seems like I'm not the only one to make that decision.

So I think it's up to you.

Pack wrote (snipped):

I'm in the process of painting on layers of
linseed oil on my earthen floor.  I was planning
on doing the 100% linseed oil, then
75/25 linseed/turpentine, 50/50 and lastly 25/75...
Do I still need to do it this way? or should I just
use 100% linseed oil for 4 to 6 costs?  I think I've
read on this list that using only 100% linseed oil
is just as good as the linseed/turpentine mixes.