[Cob] pipes

JUDITH WILLIAMS williams_judith at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:27:58 CDT 2005

I'm at the point where I need to think about roughing in my plumbing. I
remember reading in one of my books that there's a plastic pipe that's
actually not toxic. I had thought about copper but think the soldering etc
might be beyond my ability and take too much time to learn. So does anyone
have any suggestions? I'm looking forward to doing my own plumbing after
years of believeing it was some sort of magical, impossible thing that only
trained people who charge a fortune could do.

Also a comment on Mr Lehman's house: fantastic job. I'm forwarding it to my
sister who is planning a straw bale house. I've been so in to cob houses
that I've been thinking "small" but you've really got a castle there! I'll
try to remember that as I'm cobbing my little abode.

The gabions? I've seen them but never had the imagination to use them as a
foundation. I wonder where one would get them.

On salvaged materials. I'm also looking for more sources for used things. I
had a wonderful experience with the Habitat Resale store in Espanola, NM. I
stopped in on my way to my land just to see what was new. The woman who
works there has come to expect me every Friday morning (my only day off) so
she came out to the yard and had me come right in the store. She had just
accepted a donation of brand new Caradco insulated windows and doors. They
had been in a new home and the construction cleanup people noticed some
faint scratches when the sun hit a certain way. They were covered by a
warranty so were removed and replaced. I got 3 large windows, 1 medium
window, a glass door, a set of french doors and another set of 8 ft high
french doors all for what I would have paid for the Caradco french doors
alone. This week I went to the Santa Fe store and got 2 large casement
windows for $75 each. I'm all set now for windows and doors. I've gotten a
few other good things at both these stores.One thing I noticed was that the
pricing is higher is Santa Fe than it is in Espanola. I learned that the
stores charge what the market will bear so it pays to shop around. I hear
the Albuquerque store is even better. Can't wait to see it.