[Cob] pipes

francine fran2000a1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 15:15:06 CDT 2005

Judith -  I am planning on using a product called PEX.
This is a flexible pipe that can be used inside and out.
With curved walls I can follow with that pipe easily.
After researching a little it looks a lot easier that PVC,
not many joints, no soldering gluing etc. easier for the
novice it would seem.  There is a manifold for hot and cold
water, copper is used for that probably, and pipe can run
all the way to the sink without connections.    It just has
to be supported horizontally and vertically.  Also price is
comparable.  It can be used in the ground, but not exposed
to UV , I believe that was the only drawback.  But I think
it's guaranteed for 20+ years.  And it tends to flex when
water freezes, so you won't have to worry so much about
frozen pipes.   It's available at Lowe's and perhaps other
stores in rolls, I think 30 to 100 feet.  It's sometimes
also used in the floor for heating too.  When looking it
up, I searched for PEX flexible pipe.
Fran

-<snip>
> I'm at the point where I need to think about roughing in
> my plumbing. I
> remember reading in one of my books that there's a
> plastic pipe that's
> actually not toxic. I had thought about copper but think
> the soldering etc
> might be beyond my ability and take too much time to
> learn. So does anyone
> have any suggestions?

God Bless America

Francine