[Cob] cob sweat lodge

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon May 2 14:27:04 CDT 2005

What I've read about sweat lodges is that you build a fire outside the lodge
and heat rocks in it.  Then you bring the rocks inside the lightweight
blanket-covered frame, dump them in water.

You wouldn't care to make an oven this way, because while it will heat
rapidly, it will also cool rapidly, neither of which the cob (or other
earthen) oven will do.

Cob ovens, on the other hand take a lot of fire inside the oven to heat them
up, and you adjust your cooking schedule, what to put in when as it cools
down very slowly--if it's big enough, over a 24 hour period.  If you try
this with a smaller fire, the heat won't soak into the clay, and it will
cool down a whole lot faster.

So you don't necessarily want all that thermal mass for a sweat lodge.  You
may well not want to have the combination of people and fire--and
smoke!--inside a mostly closed area, and my guess is that it would take lots
more rocks than you'd care to deal with to heat up the cob.  And it would
have to be as large as the hornos I saw in Mexico--7-10 foot diameter half
sphere on the inside, to accomodate people semi-comfortably.

However, Rob Roy has a book on his cordwood sauna--he loves it.  It avoids
the open fire and all that smoke in the building by using a small stove with
a chimney and maybe outside air intake.  My copy isn't handy right now.

Which means it CAN be done.

Jennifer wonders:

Hello All,
I searched the archives and saw that in the past a member was planning and
in the process of building a cob sweat lodge - in like 1997.  But it does
not appear that person has been active on this list for sometime and their
email no longer works.

So I am wondering if anyone else out there has attempted a cob sweat lodge?
If so I would love to chat with you about pros/cons snafu's you ran into
etc.  Or if anyone has any ideas/thoughts on the matter please contact me.