[Cob] Cobbale

Karin secondfiddle at baymoon.com
Sun May 8 15:46:07 CDT 2005

I would like to know more about Cobbale also. I saw the articles in the
lastest Cob newletter also. I  currently have a 20ft diameter cob stucture
on the property that I am fine tuning. I live in CA and have experienced
many earthquakes both here and in So Calif including the 1971 San Fernando
quake and the 1989 Loma prieta quake where the epicenter was very near where
I currently live. In the loma prieta quake I could see the ground undulate
as I held on to an Oak tree since I couldn't stand.

The Cob house I have now has its roof supported on an exterior ring of
posts. The cob is then built up the roof. I love the architectural aspects
of cob and how it can be shaped.   I am digging the foundation for my old
lady house and had planned to use excusively cob. After reading the article
in the cob web about Cobbale and thinking more about the active earthquake
faults around here I have been reconcidering. Maybe I will use cob for the
south and east wall and use cobbale for the North and west walls where more
insulation would work better. The West wall of the house will be porch and a
mud room. I think that I would still support the roof of the this stucture
on exterior posts (Minke"s suggestion for earthen buildings in seismic
zones)

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Karin