[Cob] cobbale

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed May 11 19:41:34 CDT 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Amanda Peck wrote:

> This one, the one that started the "[cob] cobbale" thread.  Actually all it
> amounted to was a note that the latest issue of Cob Cottage's (I think) used
> the term.  Somebody else wanted to know where to get a copy of the
> newsletter.

They would need to contact Cob Cottage Company to see about getting a
copy:
       www.cobcottage.com

[snip]
> Also, do you know of any reason why strawbale wouldn't be able to be placed
> on bare, compacted dirt (that is sloped down on all directions around the
> exterior of the structure?
[snip]

Bare earth generally wicks alot of moisture, so even if no water hits the
wall or the earth for a couple feet around, moisture will eventually get
to the bale, and once the rot begins, you're in trouble.  Additionally,
rain usually will get in closer to or on the walls when driven by rain, or
by hitting plants, nearby objects, or even the ground and "bouncing" back
towards the wall.  At the very least, you will need a waterproof barrier
between the ground and the bale, as well as a thick coating of plaster
such as cob, or a thinner waterproof coating on the bale near the base of
the wall.  A better approach is a stem wall going up at least a foot with
a moisture break below the bales (unless the stem wall provides an
adequate moisture break).