[Cob] Local Responses, long rant

Barbara Roemer roemiller at infostations.net
Wed Jul 6 11:03:41 CDT 2005

Warning: long rant, and perspective is North Murrican!

I must have missed a couple of digests because I found there were several
contributions recently to which I wanted to respond.  After Steve asked for
R values for cob and John F pointed out the need for funding research on
quantifiable measures, other folks posted several values for components
(clay as in adobe blocks, and light straw clay).  Then Alan (Earthed)
responded to Jill about how best to prepare clay for cobbing.  Both topics
point to the logic of applying local solutions to local materials and
conditions, while still maintaining a focus on quantification to spread the
(low-) technology.

Earthed Alan has cobbed in our neighborhood in the Sierra Foothills, among
many other places in the world, and dealt as he described (dry) with our
clay soil, pure and sticky enough to pot with right out of the ground.
While Karen in Alberta found that this sort of clay was best managed by
leaving it out to weather, that method is appropriate in her latitude and
climate and may not work as well in other locations.  We live near the 37th
parallel, in Zone 8, with very little cold weather, avg. min. winter lows
about 10 degrees F, and have 65 inches of precipitation.  It's plenty of
rainfall to erode a pile of clay left unprotected, but inadequate for
freezing/thawing cycles to result in expanded, broken up clay, so dry
screening works best for us, as Alan pointed out.

I concur with Alan about how the best cob is made.  That's with the approach
that is most appropriate for YOUR LOCAL project.  Cob for our oven was
hand-mixed since only a small batch was needed. We used a cement mixer for
our floors since there was a greater volume of material.  And for the light
straw clay building to which Charmaine referred, my son designed and built
an 8 foot long machine to tumble clay, water, and straw together. Most of
the light straw clay in that home went up in one day with a crew of more
than 50 people! The large mixer seemed an appropriate technological response
since it will be used in several large buildings and has already been
employed by folks all over the state.

Similarly, the best construction method for you may be a either cob, bale or
light straw clay.  Or, it might be a hybrid house, with bales on the north
and perhaps the west for insulation, light straw clay on the south for ease
of working around large expanses of glass, and as much cob as you can
incorporate to best use its mass, depending on your heating and cooling
degree days.  Again, where we live, where the number of heating degree days
much exceeds the cooling degree days, we need some insulation to keep heat
in the structure in winter and out of it in summer to begin with.  Then we
need the mass of cob and stone to capture heat for diurnal swings.  The mass
will also temper the heat in our couple of months of hot summer.  On our
northern flank, the winter wind would suck the heat out of uninsulated
northern mass, so bales make sense for us on that wall.  We want the
flexibility of light straw clay for framing the southern exposure; for some
curves that bales don't make as well; and for some interior partitions where
we want more sound control. Our barn will be LSC because it goes up quickly
when adequate preparations are made, and since it will be mostly unheated,
we just want it comfortable for critters and our active working. But our
solutions suit our climate, materials, time, energy, and the available
technology and expertise.  They wouldn't be the same ones in different local
circumstances.

Of light straw clay, Charmaine is correct: it's not as great an insulator as
is claimed for it.  If a typical LSC wall is 12" thick (usually that's
max.), and typically LSC is lightly stuffed with a 2 x 4" into the forms to
fill all the corners, rather than rammed as in rammed earth, then with the
value of much denser cob being somewhere between R- .5 and -.7 /inch, and
the R-value of straw being somewhere between 1.5 and 2 R/inch, there is no
way the wall value of LSC could be nearly R-2/inch.  There is little cob OR
straw in a LIGHT straw clay wall: the mix results in a lot of trapped air.
On the other hand, at least in our climate and latitude, I can attest to the
fact that almost no heating and no cooling is necessary in the passive
solar, LSC house our friends built. It's much warmer in winter than an R-12
house "ought" to be, even considering the great construction, orientation,
and passive solar technology. One very positive aspect of LSC is that,
well-built, there is virtually no thermal bridging. But any building is a
system of components, each of which must be assessed for its contribution to
maintaining comfort.  In our friends' house, there is a lot of concrete in
foundations and flooring, and further mass in the stone that covers the
concrete, all of which will moderate the temperature swings.

Work with your local climate, elevation, sun angles, latitude, materials,
and appropriate technology.  They're at least as important as the crew, the
working conditions, the permits, or any other aspect of your planning.

Barbara