[Cob] Solutions for housing shortage? (fwd)

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 3 09:51:47 CDT 2005

I've no idea if cob--or any other form of earthen/low to the ground
building--is appropriate for a land that is sinking, as South Louisana is.

Or whether the local soil is suitable for cob--the right mixture of sand and
clay.  I'd expect a whole lot of silt down there, deep alluvial soils.

Cob can go up fairly quickly if it's a community work project.

But aren't earthbags faster, less dependent on proper soil, possibly better
aerodynamically in the case of a blow?

Michael wrote:
Cobbers,
This is a email I received from a victim of the hurricane. I'm not sure if
she would like her info placed on the list, so I will relay any information
or contacts until I hear otherwise.
Someone out there might be able to help.
Any ideas?

Michael

<snip>

I had purchased the book the hand sculpted house and have been planning to
build my own cob cottage in the near future. I live in the New Orleans,
Louisiana area and I am one several hundreds of thousands of  people that
has been displaced due to hurricane Katrina.You may have watched the news
and seen the devastation in the gulf south region. Our city has been
engulfed by water and is now expected to be toxic and uninhabitable for many
months or longer.
I am asking anyone that may be able to help up to come up with solutions for
our housing shortage to please offer their input. We have close to a million
people that may be homeless for a very long time. I feel that cob structures
would be a practical and economical building method. I ask anyone with the
time and knowledge to help educate and instruct us to cob and other building
methods that could work for us here in this region. Any suggestions and help
would be so greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Angela...