[Cob] The best roofing?

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 21:54:12 CST 2005

Roofing really is an "it all depends."

If you don't have to depend on rainwater from your house roof for your water
(e.g., spring, well, another building suitable for rainwater collection,
even municipial water) then a living roof is a great idea.  It helps prevent
run-off, and you can grow all kinds of things up there--on another list
someone treated us to a picture of his cauliflower.

Tony Wrench (whose idea of sustainable far exceeds most Americans' in his
How to Build a Low-Impact Roundhouse) agonized over his decision to use
EPDM--pond liner.  Not exactly a thin film of plastic.  Might look at what
the American Rob Roy has done as well.

If it looks like water is going to be an issue, then metal, preferably that
labeled for drinking water might be better.

Then you get to agonize about what to use for your cisterns or tanks.  (if
you have two there will be water when you get to clean each one in turn)

Rodger wrote:

Greetings everyone,
I'm new to this world of sustainable building, and new to the love I  have
for it.
In my mind's natural building wanderings, I'm always up against the  ROOF.
Foundations seem like they've been tried and tried again until  tried
true... but I haven't come across a cheap, natural roof that  feels
trustworthy.  I feel hesitant to put just a thin layer of  plastic in a
living roof between me and the elements... although a  living roof seems the
best.  One hole... and it's all over.
Could you share with me your preferred roofing ideas?  And comment on
living roof proofing?
Many thanks, I look forward to your ideas,
Cheers
Rodger