[Cob] insulation

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:00:03 CST 2006

Roselle writes:

>I am very interested in cob, and one hurdle I'm trying
>to overcome is the issue of insulation in cold
>climates.  I just heard of someone locally who just
>tore down a cob building because it was a major cold
>sink.  I'm in the san juan mountains of colorado.

>I've read ideas of outsulating on this list.  It
>sounds like it has too many problems. Has anyone tried
>insulating from the inside?

As long as you have good southern exposure for solar gain I believe that a
bale-cob building would be excellent and may need almost no additional heat
source in the San Juans.  If you do not have good access to the sun I
wouldn't recommend cob.  Building an integrated wall of cob and bale with
bale on the outside will provide you the thermal mass in cob to not overheat
from the sun since the heat will be stored in the cob and released at night.
   The insulation of the bales will keep the heat in wonderfully.  A good
couple of inches of plaster on the bales will provide them plenty of
protection in dry CO.  See one of the recent Cob Web newsletters for more
info. on bale-cob.
    I built my house using bale-cob here in Portland, Oregon.  On our
coldest cloudy days of 20-30 degrees with wind we loose seven degrees over
24 hours if we don't run our rocket stove at all.  On sunny days of the same
temps. we do not need to run the stove at all since we get plenty of heat
from the sun and our south facing windows, dark cob floors, and trombe wall.

- Bernhard
_________________________________bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com