[Cob] spray gun, hopper gun, texture sprayer, tirolessa

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 22 10:33:14 CST 2006

Something didn't sound quite right about Pack's compressor specs so I went
to look them up and instead found the site recommended by Charmaine complete
with a comparatively inexpensive manual version of the air-powered sprayer.
The second link--and second quote--on the same site does say that a 2hp
compressor will probably work for the air-powered job if you're you're set
up right.  Other people have told me that an undersized tank means that you
may not be able to work continuously which you're not going to do if you're
working by yourself with the one-gallon hopper on either machine.

Of course a traditional way to get plaster, chinking, etc. on to walls is to
wear serious gloves and then throw or mash handfuls onto the surface--from a
bucket, not a hawk, then pick up the trowel and spread it around.  It does
get a bit messy, especially when the mixture is a bit to dry or starting to
set up.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/mortarsprayer/tispf.html
http://store.yahoo.com/mortarsprayer/diforuse.html

"The unit holds about a gallon of material, and has a rigid handle. The turn
crank causes the tines to pick up plaster material and splatter it onto a
surface.

Traditionally these units are used to apply a thin lime plaster, but it can
be used for clay based plasters too. It is not good for just wetting a
surface with limewash or water, it is meant for plasters.

There is not the control and power of the Tirolessa air powered unit, but
for manual application in a remote jobsite or with no electrical powe it can
serve for smaller projects. The unit is menat for right handed operation.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"A Mortar Sprayer uses a lot of air. We have found that a two horsepower air
compressor furnishes sufficient air.
----------------------------
Most 2 horsepower air compressors come with a *” npt (national pipe thread)
connection. Use a bushing to increase the size to 3/8” and pass the air
through a filter/water trap if desired. (Note: a filter/water trap is not
needed if spraying gray stucco is the only function of the line leading from
the compressor.) From the filter/water trap, use a minimum of 3/8” hose to
the Mortar Sprayer. If the hose run is to be over 50 feet, increase the size
of the hose to *” for all except the last 50 feet. Running air compressors
on extension cords reduces the life expectancy of the air compressor. If you
do not have appropriately-sized electrical outlets where you will be
spraying (most people do not), use a longer air line.
------------------------

Do not attempt to mix the stucco by hand when using the Mortar Sprayer. It
would require ten wheelbarrows and ten people mixing to keep up. A two-bag
mixer (also called a 6-cubic foot mixer) is the appropriate mixer to use."

Pack wrote (snipped):

I've got a tech question from Georgia.  I've done some plastering on
three   different projects and find it very time consuming.  I've enjoyed
every minute of the process, but now have a project that I'd like to
complete a
little faster.  I've been thinking about buying one of those tirolessa
sprayers and
an  air compresser, but alas, find the tirolessa to be to expensive
besides  the fact that it takes a large air compresser (5HP, 40 gal tank,
7cfm)...