[Cob] Cob R-values

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Fri May 5 15:01:17 CDT 2006

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Tim V wrote:

[snip]
> the only factor, our walls were near 12 inches in width. We were told that
> cob had an excellent R value, around 30 i think, but not as good as a
> strawbale structure, which another project had built nearby. In other words,
> cob still better than stick frame with regular insulation. -TV

There are alot of people who over the years have handed out various
nonsensical numbers for the R-value of cob, and these numbers have been
passed around to the point where far to many people have heard and believe
them.  The problem is that some people have "guessed" the value based on
how their cob house behaves, and the effects of thermal mass have caused
them to reach ridiculous conclusions.  Some of those numbers have been
posted to this list over the years and on occasion I have tried to correct
this misconception.  NOTE: some misconceptions have also come from mixing
up metric and non-metric (USA) measurements for resistance to heat flow.
For what follows, I am using USA measurements.

For the record, cob makes a TERRIBLE insulator, but in a moderate climate
it's thermal mass can make the need for insulation completely irrelevant
and give the illusion of it providing good insulation value.  For
reference some common R-values:

    Glass wool        3.76/inch
    Most Softwoods    1.25/inch
    Most Hardwoods    0.91/inch
    Low density brick 0.20/inch
    Face brick        0.11/inch
    concrete          0.08/inch

R-value is a function of a number of factors including things like thermal
conductivity of the material and the amount and distribution of air
trapped in the material.  It should hopefully be obvious to most people
that a mixture of earth with 10% straw is not going to have an R-value
even close to that of any kind of common hardwood as it's thermal
conductivity is much lower than that of earth.  Now cob mixes do vary a
fair bit, but from the above, a realistic R-value number must be much less
than 0.91/inch and greater than that of face brick - 0.11/in. (the straw
and air pockets in cob would make it's R-value higher).  Beyond
that I believe it is likely to be greater than the low density brick and
usually use a value of 0.30/inch, but this is just an extremely rough
estimate.  Based on other real world data I have seen over the years I
believe that any number greater than 0.5 for cob is extremely unlikely.

The upshot of this is that for the above 12" walls, R-6 would be an
extremely generous estimate of the R-value in a 12" cob wall, and I would
view R-4 as much more realistic, but even if all of my assumptions
above were wrong, it is still not possible for cob to have a greater
R-value than hardwoods.

FWIW.