[Cob] RE: code

Mary Lou McFarland louiethefifth at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 29 07:30:31 CDT 2006

I saw an interesting news item about a japanese scientist who was working on
a building technique to help save lives during earthquakes.  You might have
seen it...it was inspired by the woven drywall tape.  The scientist covered
the exterior and interior with a heavy duty mesh and then you just plaster
over it for a conventional finish.  The amount of shifting that it resisted
was really amazing.  As soon as I saw the method I thought about how it code
be incorporated with cob.  It seems that it wouldn't be a difficult thing to
build up your walls with snow fencing(the orange mesh plastic stuff) as a
stabilizer.  Trying some methods like that might help out with acheiving
code specs for cob.