[Cob] Permitting

john fordice otherfish at comcast.net
Wed Dec 20 12:39:09 CST 2006

Owen,
The International Building Code (IBC) has been written to replace the
Uniform Building Code (UBC).  This will be reality when the slowly
proceeding adoption process is completed.

Both the UBC & IBC contain a section titled ALTERNATE MATERIALS AND METHODS.
This section says in a nut shell:
1. The code  allows the construction of structures in a manner that is not
specifically addressed by the code.  Both Cob & Strawbale fall into this
category.
2. This allowance is based on the proposed construction meeting the INTENT
of the code.
3.  The onus of proof of meeting the INTENT is the responsibility of the
builder.

So you can build whatever you want so long as you can convince the building
department that what you want to build meets the intent of the code.  This
is most easily accomplished by providing structural calculations and
drawings to that effdect.  Hence, the required participation by a licences
structural engineer or architect.

john fordice - the cob code project

on 12/20/06 5:32 AM, Owen Morgan - cobbuildersforum.com at