[Cob] oiling cob

Yun Que yunk88 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 07:53:32 CST 2007

   cat here

   In my cabinet shop oiling and waxing wood was the premium way to get a
   glow and the deeper the penetration of oil the more luster...It must
   dry however and that can take allot of time...The old way was to oil
   once a day for a week, once a week for a year, once a year forever.

    it will also make the wood nearly water proof.  Allot of the folks in
   the hills oil their gun butts the same way.  With clay the dry time is
   going to be very different...land movers in WV will tell me that once
   clay has been disturbed it takes 7 years to settle down into a solid
   mass that can be considered stable.  Put enough oil in it and you get
   plastesine (play clay) which never gets hard.  The last consideration
   is the heat from that radiant floor.  The heat could I suppose dry out
   the oil faster but it could also fester.  I have oiling allot of
   cabinets I would say I would not like that warm stuff leeching up
   under my bare feet.

   Baked or glazed tile with lime mortar and some nice hemp or wool rugs
   sounds much more cozy and planet considerate...their is
   bamboo flooring out their.  It has the advantage of being very
   renewable, (big grass) harder than maple, water resistant in its
   natural state, the draw back is that most of the stuff available is
   laminated with glues and resins (haven't researched their
   ecological impact or content) and most are urethaned. Urethane is in
   my opinion not a very good floor finish for a multitude of reasons.

   Somewhere on this list in the past someone noted that a radiant floor
   had caused their feet to dry and crack from walking continually on the
   warm surface...It was never said if this was due to the temp of the
   floor, the sensitivity of their skin, or the floor finish.

   More questions than answers here sorry!
   for the good of all C.