[Cob] oiling cob

paul dotpaul at paulleblanc.net
Mon Feb 5 13:45:08 CST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: <hms.mommy at juno.com>
To: <coblist at deatech.com>
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Cob] oiling cob

> But surely not all instances of oil use have resulted in rancidity?

Carrie, actually, all vegetable oils will go rancid with exposure to air and
heat over time.  The only difference is how resistant each is.  Some oils
are much more stable (olive, macadamia, coconut) and some are volatile
(flax, canola, soy).  Volatile oils are missing hydrogen bonds and they are
subject  to break down much more quickly.  They produce a carcinogenic smoke
when used in frying.  Many Chinese women suffer lung cancer because they
stir-fry with soy oil.

Use on a floor may be no problem except that what we ingest what we breathe
(molecules).  Is that necessarily a problem?  Beats me, but I don't have
warm, squishy, "I can't wait to oil my floor" feelings about it. Where the
drying process probably reduces the outgassing effect, I see that
re-applications of the oil (and maybe the turpentine) are advised, which
might be counter productive for health or mildew.