[Cob] % Lime putty -recipe for volume use

Dirtcheapbuilder-Charmaine Taylor tms at northcoast.com
Mon Feb 12 15:04:23 CST 2007

PS  I forgot to mention that just 2% of powdered hydrated lime  or lime
putty ( which is just lime soaked in clean water) can stabilize most
clay so it doesn't swell.

this is by VOLUME.. so adding 2 cups lime to  100 cups clay is good
measure. For  building bigger volumes, as with cob,  you can be off a
bit either way, use a coffee can, etc to the bucketfull or wheelbarrow
loads.  Using more than 8% is considered wasteful, and is not adding
strength or  stabilizing it further.

  also- yes NEVER forget gloves with lime or cement use, ALWAYS have
clean bucket of water or hose available for eye splashes, as lime can
BURN tender skin .. it is not toxic, dangerous or harmful.  but can be
very caustic to SOME people.. cement can be worse..take care.

and keep  a bottle of white /cider vinegar- it  will stop the harsh
drying action of lime to the hands/skin immediately.  Just risnse hands
with vinegar, THEN wash well, soap alone will not stop the "pruning" of
  your fingers.  << ask me how I know!!  hahaha

   hms.mommy at juno.com wrote:
  Charmaine, you are a treasure.  Thanks so much for posting so much
valuable information.
  Carrie      http://www.producerrevolution.com/philosophy/

>   kicks off'  the hoops forever, and leaves a slimmed down clay
> molecule  unable to swell up again.
  Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
Unstoppable Global Warming-1500 year cycle-FACTS:
http://www.hudson.org/files/publications/UnstoppableGlobalWarming.pdf