[Cob] Fancy a Mexican Vacation Anyone ?

sarah doron sarahdoron at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 16:33:33 CST 2007

Hi , I have been soaking up all the latest chats about earthen floors, but having almost completed my cob house on the beautiful coast of Oaxaca Mexico I  still don't feel confident enough to take the plunge and try to lay one  .I've never posted a comment before but felt it was worth a go before caving in and  going with the polished cement floor that would be a very sad but much easier option
  For one thing it's just me my daughter and 3 local labourers, it's taken me a tough but wonderful year to get to this stage and if  I went through all that time, work and money (linseed is no bargain down here) and I managed to balls it up which would probably happen at least once I would be devistated.
  I have an abundance of clay and have actually resorted to using coconut fibre for my walls as it ,unlike straw is readily available.
  Man power is not an issue , it's cheap and cheerful over here and I could even offer accomodation close to the beach with basic cooking facilities .
  This place is heaven , if anyone who really has first hand experience at laying successful earthen floors feels that they might be tempted to a great get away with a bit of work thrown in please let me know , I'm open to starting the work anytime between now and June.
  Many thanks to all , for all your contributions to this fantastic forum !!!
  Sarah.